June 2014: which was so busy, I only got to recapping it now!
Behind the Scenes by Dahlia Adler
The DUFF by Kody Keplinger (reread)
William Shakespeare’s Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope by Ian Doescher
All Lined Up by Cora Carmack
The Fine Art of Pretending by Rachel Harris
Beautiful Bastard by Christina Lauren
Book of the Month:
Total books read: 7
Total pages read: 2,118
Average rating: 3.86
2 2014 debut authors read
1/7 (14%) standalones, 6/7 (86%) series
6/7 (86%) paper, 1/7 (14%) pixels
Total books read: 58
Total pages read: 21,212
Average rating: 3.47
7 2014 debut authors read
43% standalones, 57% series
62% paper, 36% pixels, 2% audio
- Top Ten Beach Reads
- Monthly Wrap-Up: May 2014
- Book Nerd Problems #21: When Epic Reads Steals Your Book Nerd Problems
- Blogging Life May Now Resume!
- Top Ten Books I’ve Read So Far in 2014
- Top Ten Books On My Summer 2014 TBR List
- I discovered the sitcom Ground Floor and it pretty much destroyed my life. So funny and OFFICE ROMANCE FTW. BANTER. YAY. I may have binged it three times in a row? What? I know, I’m super weird, but I just love sitcoms, to have playing in the background while I do other things and stuff. I really recommend this one though. It’s probably not that well known, because it’s a TBS series, but I discovered it on the flight back from NYC!
- HAIRSTYLES. My hair is finally long enough to really do things with it, so I started experimenting with different styles after I found a bunch of fun tutorials on Pinterest and YouTube. It’s super fun, and a fair few are really simple and easy but end up looking really impressive. It really gives me a confidence boost – people at work kept complimenting me and one of the older managers even asked for tips so he could do some styles for his daughter. It was TOO SWEET. Here are some of my favorites so far: Milk Maid Braids, Messy Bun, and the Twisty Up-Do. 🙂
- Thanks to a tip from one of the interns at work, I discovered the band London Grammar and quickly became completely obsessed! It’s such a beautiful sound, seriously. I particularly love their songs Sights, If You Wait, and Maybe; but really just get the whole album because it’s SO WORTH IT.
- Also, THE FREAKING WORLD CUP was happening, which you’ll probably have seen me obsessing about on Twitter. The World Cup dominates my life, people. I’m not even exaggerating when I say I watch every game that I am able to watch. And Oranje did really well this year too, to everyone’s surprise, so that got everyone’s spirits up 🙂 Seriously, everyone in the Netherlands LOVES the World Cup, and you’ll notice, because entire streets just transform into a wash of orange. Most excellent.
In Real Life
- The first half of June was mostly spent racing to finish my master thesis. And I submitted it, and it was done, and it was wonderful, but the days after were spent in fear and anxiety of, “I DON’T KNOW IF THAT WAS GOOD ENOUGH OH MY GOD.” (Spoiler alert: it was.)
- After thesis hell ended, I spent some time getting caught up on sleep and doing absolutely nothing. I spent one weekend at my aunt and uncle’s house, where I just lazed on the couch the whole time, reading books and listening to my uncle play on his grand piano. BLISS.
- At my internship, I started going out for drinks after work a bit more, finally socializing with the other interns a bit. I mean, I finally had the time for that, so that was cool. And the weather was pretty nice, so that helped. Work was winding down, and I spent most of my time preparing to handover my position to my successor in July.