This is a periodic discussion feature here at Snuggly Oranges about the many problems one can run into as a book nerd.
#24. I Am A Book Buying Addict
The thing is, I really freaking love books. And being in the book blogging world, so many titles are constantly being added to my radar. So many covers completely take my breath away. Oh, did my book blogging BFF just 5 star RAVE about this book? I MUST HAVE IT IN MY HANDS NOW. And just simply walking through a bookstore, in the young adult section, among all the pretties, is freaking blissful heaven.
My Other Excuses:
- Well, everyone has been raving about that one.
- But he/she’s one of my auto-buy authors! I have to support them!
- But if I get that one, I’ll have completed the series!
- But I had a really bad day.
- But I just accomplished something awesome, I deserve a reward!
- But I’m a mood reader and I need more fluffy reads on hand JUST IN CASE.
- That author’s coming for an event, so obviously I have to buy their entire oeuvre!
- My book collection is still nothing compared to OTHER people’s.
- It’s on sale though! When will that ever happen again?
- [Person X] said I had to read this one though!!! OBVIOUSLY THAT MEANT RIGHT NOW.
- They changed the covers! MAJOR TRAVESTY, MY BOOKS DON’T MATCH.
- But I haven’t bought a book in like two whole weeks!
- But I have like nothing to read right now.
It’s like that. But with books.
Time for a reality check.
- You’re unemployed, Debby, you ain’t got money fo’ dis shiz.
- And when you DO get a job, you’ll be moving. How are you going to carry/transport all these books?
- Your bookshelves are completely full. COMPLETELY.
- LIKE THERE ARE STACKS OF BOOKS ON THE FLOOR COMPLETELY.
- And if you didn’t buy any more books, just read the ones you have but haven’t read, you would be set for A YEAR.
- Would you read that book right away? No? It’ll still be for sale a few months from now. SRSLY.
- Srsly, don’t forget about books publishers send to you, because they’re also taking up your shelf space and your reading time. If you buy a book now – when would you finally have time to read it?
- Waiting is not always an evil: you can read more reviews and see if you’ll actually like the book!
I’m striving to do better.
Of course, there’s things you can do. Book buying bans, rules where you can only buy 1 book for every x read from your shelf, etc., and I guess I’m kind of doing that but not formally. Maybe making it a formal challenge would be more effective… but… that also just seems so cruel 🙁