September 2015: fun times and good news ♥
End of Days by Susan Ee
The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness
The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas (reread)
The Perilous Sea by Sherry Thomas (reread)
The Immortal Heights by Sherry Thomas
The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han
Book of the Month:
Total books read: 8
Total pages read: 3,174
Average rating: 4.31
0 2015 debut authors read
1/8 (13%) standalones, 7/8 (87%) series
5/8 (62%) paper, 3/8 (38%) pixels
Total books read: 88
Total pages read: 31,742
Average rating: 3.64
15 2015 debut authors read
31% standalones, 69% series
45% paper, 48% pixels, 7% audio
- All Played Out by Cora Carmack ★★★½
- Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson ★★★★★
- Uprooted by Naomi Novik ★★★★½
- The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness ★★★★★
- The Immortal Heights by Sherry Thomas ★★★★½
- The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan ★★★★
- Monthly Wrap-Up: August 2015
- Cover Reveal + Giveaway: P.S. I Like You by Kasie West
- Book Haul #26: The One with the Most Exciting ARC Ever
- Top Ten Books on My Fall 2015 TBR List
- Most Wanted: October 2015
On the Big Screen
Movies:Cinderella (2015): I’ve been meaning to watch this for aaages, but I finally got to and BOY IT WAS GOOD. Like, I never really cared too much about the Disney version, but this live action version just gave it so much heart. Loved it. Stunning visuals and messages. I watched it with an entirely all too goofy grin on my face.
Home: Daisy has been bugging me to watch this foreverrrrr, so I finally did it – behind her back. It was funny and cute, though it got a bit too much at times. Also it was so hard to get Sheldon out of my head. I love Jim Parsons, but that voice is so distinctive, and I didn’t feel like it *totally* fit with his little Boov figure.
TV Series:The West Wing: The biffle finally forced me. JK, I’ve wanted to watch this for a while because – duh – it’s Aaron Sorkin. I started on the plane back from Turkey, and I’m now almost halfway through season 4. Err. Yeah. I love the writing and wit, though it is funny to see the parallels to The Newsroom: same music, same quotes, same situations/conflicts, same morals, same background character names… I mean, most of that’s on me for having The Newsroom freaking memorized, but whatever. Sorkin’s kind of a one trick pony, I suppose, but I like that one trick, so I don’t care too much.
Young & Hungry, South Park, Nashville, The Big Bang Theory, and Brooklyn Nine-Nine have been airing, and I’m so happy to have some of these back. Props to Nashville for getting me all worked up and close to tears again in the first episode and to Brooklyn Nine-Nine for THAT SHIP.
Through My Speakers
In Real Life
- First things first: I got a promotion! I mean, promotion slash lateral move. Starting December 1st, I’m going to be the trade marketing liaison to our US office! Wheeeeee! This is so exciting because I get to (a) do what I studied to do, (b) be more involved in the company, (c) get my contract extended (obvi), and (d) very probably travel to New York somewhere in the near future. 🙂
- The start of the month I was still in Turkey, hanging out with my biffle – but I covered that in my August wrap-up.
- I went to see the stage production of Anne, based on The Diary of Anne Frank, in Amsterdam with my mother. And wow. I was impressed and moved to tears. The actress who played Anne did a PHENOMENAL job, the set was amazing, and the father-daughter feels just about killed me. I really need to read the book one of these days, but my mom said it was a great adaptation.
- Our company retreat happened! It was actually a hilarious time. These people can be crazy party animals – the CEO most of anyone. We had a barbecue dinner, a neon party, and a race in a corn maze. But it mostly revolved around the party. I usually don’t really go out much (SURPRISE SURPRISE) but partying like this once a year feels like a good plan. I really love my colleagues 🙂
- Book club took place yesterday! Always a good time. Even when people insult my favorite books *cough cough* I can’t wait till our sleepover in two weeks!!!