This is a meme from The Broke and the Bookish. For info about the topics and how to participate, click here.I’m twisting this week’s topic a bit, because I don’t ONLY read new releases. I’ve been trying to read more backlist books this year, and I would be sad to not be able to mention them now. Most of these are 2016 releases, but I cannot leave out those few that aren’t 😉 LET’S GO!
Top Ten Favorite Reads in 2016 So Far
1. A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab: Oh man, remember that time when out of the blue I won an ARC of this one? Legit one of the most exciting moments of my blogging career. I can’t even with how perfect this book was. Even just marginally better than the already perfect ADSOM (see below). Kell and Lila are everything. And the ending… it haunts me. I am not okay.
2. A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab: Same as above, really. Like, I was ashamed for putting off reading this book but I was so terrified of the hype. But the hype was 100% justified. I just adore this series.
3. Girl Against the Universe by Paula Stokes: YES YES YES YES. Do you like feelsy mostly fluffy romance? Do you like heartbreaking character growth arcs? Do you want a therapy-positive anxiety book? You need this book in your life. Even if you said no to those questions. Deep down, you still want this. Nay, need this.
4. The Rose and the Dagger by Renée Ahdieh: Man oh man. This series is officially one of my favorites of all time. It’s just so powerful, intense, romantic, smart, and beautifully written. I just can’t praise it enough.
5. My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows: EEEEE. Seriously this book was so delightful that just thinking about it makes me bounce up and down in my seat. It was refreshing, humorous, creative, and super voicey. I would love to have more historical fiction like this, and more books by these three authors combined. They’re a force to be reckoned with.
6. The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson: CLARK. Possibly my new favorite book boyfriend. This book made my heart soar for weeks. I just love it to pieces. It’s a perfect summertime romance, so if you haven’t gotten around to it yet, now is definitely the right time!
7. Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine: This became our book club pick and though I’d heard a couple of really positive things about it, I wasn’t expecting to love it so much. Really creative. Really intense. And Wolfe is just… I have an unhealthy obsession with him. Whoops.
8. The Vanishing Throne by Elizabeth May: Very different from book 1, and arguably pretty clearly a middle book, but I still love May’s writing. And Aileana. She’s so fierce. Also: killer cliffhanger. And thus the waiting commences again…
9. The Skylighter by Becky Wallace: Wallace is a master at making me care way too much about all of her characters. This book was a combination of exquisite pain and pure delight. SO MANY BEAUTIFUL SHIPS in such an excellent story. I just wish there had been more kissing. *sigh*
10. First & Then by Emma Mills: Are you a fan of banterfluff? And hate-to-love romance? Like Lizzie/Darcy-type ships? Hi, meet your new favorite book.